The weekly “little of this, little of that” feature from Like Mother, Like Daughter!
Massachusetts/New England readers: don’t forget that you could hear Auntie Leila speak in Lexington next week!
This week’s links!
- First, a few notes on Common Core: This weekend, The Artist and I are planning to watch Building the Machine, the new documentary out about Common Core (it’s only 40 min). A great resource about Common Core is Catholic Is Our Core from the Cardinal Newman society — this site is heavy on background information and commentary. If you have any investment, as an educator or simply as an interested party (or simply as an American), in education in the US, this issue is pertinent for you. But I think it’s important to keep in mind that moms (and future moms) are key players in this, in so far as your voice matters if your kid is in a school that would be affected or is already affected (and that is most schools in the country!).
- Did you do anything clever for April Fools Day? Here’s an interesting article about the history of the day (and its Catholic roots!).
- While there was a sense for a while that BMI (body mass index) was a better indicator of health than weight alone, it’s now becoming clear that using BMI has not been helpful. NPR recently featured the Top 10 Reasons Why the BMI is Bogus, and this blogger considered BMI and other prevalent ideas that are enemies to healthy body image and perception.
But — let’s not get carried away here; after all, we have to consider the affect on men [Onion].
- Need some inspiration about how to spend your time for creative pursuits? Here’s a fun post and infographic detailing how certain creative giants budgeted their 24 hours: Creative Routines. Perhaps unattainable for some of us (e.g., any of us who are responsible for caring for others), but a helpful exercise in thinking about the use of time.
- Awesome tool for seeking out the deals and out-of-print editions (remember how Auntie Leila mentioned the Trolley Car Children): Book Sale Finder!
- Check it out: the fastest method of apple-peeling you’ve ever seen. Perhaps a new way to involve husbands and boys in the kitchen?
- Any other baseball fans out there? An article about how two umpires got an historic, game-changing, World Series call right: The Last Great Call(s). Anyone else out there upset that the MLB has decided to include camera technology for instant replay?
From the archives:
Today is the Memorial of the intense St. Vincent Ferrer, a Dominican with a highly dramatic life, who knew the entire Bible by heart!
Like us on Facebook, where you will be advised of posts, including some from the archives that you might have missed.
Auntie Leila’s Pinterest.
Auntie Leila’s Ravelry